I was honored to be asked to sponsor one of Chef Robin White’s soup creations for the upcoming “Soup Week”. She asked me to pair a wine with her Thursday soup, the “Sexy Six Mushroom Soup”. I chose two of my favorite Pinot Noirs – the 2007 Domaine Carneros Estate Pinot Noir and the 2007 Buena Vista Carneros Dijon Clone Pinot Noir…bon appetit!
“Sexy Six Mushroom Soup”
Ingredients: (Serves 6 to 8 )
– 1 ounce dried Porcini mushrooms
– 4 oz Cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
– 4 oz Buttons mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
– 4 oz Shitake mushrooms cleaned, stemmed and sliced
– 4 oz Oyster mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
– 1 cup boiling water
– 4 tbsp butter
– 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 cup dry Sherry, 1/2 for mushrooms, — 1/2 for garnish
– 6 cups of your favorite low salt chicken stock, preferably organic or use vegetable stock
– 2 ounces Enoki mushrooms, trimmed, for garnish fresh chives, chopped fine
Place Porcini in medium bowl. Pour boiling water over. Let stand until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Strain soaking liquid through cheesecloth or paper towel to remove any dirt. Coarsely chop Porcini.
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium high heat. Add shallots and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and all the mushrooms – except the enoki – and saute until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and boil until almost all liquid evaporates. Add reserved Porcini soaking liquid and stock. Simmer soup 15 minutes to blend flavors. In a small pan add the other half cup of sherry and cook down till reduced more than half and getting syrupy. This will take about 10 minutes so you can do it while soup if cooking. Remove from heat and set aside for garnish. Season soup with s and p to taste. With a hand blender, blend the soup for a few taps to blend by half. Still leaving lots of mushrooms slices in tack. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with sherry glaze and sprinkle with chopped chives and serve. Bon Appetit!
You can check out Robin’s blog and the other Soup Week recipes here: http://www.chefrobinwhite.com/